- 1 How to administer HGH injections
- 2 Bacteriostatic water vs Sterile vs Distilled for injections
- 3 How to mix HGH with bacteriostatic water
- 4 Do you need a prescription for bacteriostatic water?
- 5 How long does HGH last once mixed with bacteriostatic water?
The growth hormone is an important factor in keeping you feeling your best. It helps you grow to your adult height during childhood and helps you maintain your tissues and organs throughout your life. The hormone is produced in your pituitary gland.
Sometimes, your pituitary gland doesn’t make as much growth hormone as your body needs. This is called growth hormone deficiency and can cause you to have low energy, high-stress levels, trouble losing weight, and other symptoms.
The most effective treatment for growth hormone deficiency are human growth hormone (HGH) injections. Your doctor will likely prescribe these to you if you’re diagnosed with growth hormone deficiency. According to the Harvard Men’s Health Watch:
Adults with bona fide GH deficiencies benefit from GH injections. They enjoy protection from fractures, increased muscle mass, improved exercise capacity and energy, and a reduced risk of future heart disease
HGH comes in different forms. You’ll probably need to mix your HGH vials with specialized water in to reconstitute them. Your HGH vials need to be reconstituted correctly to be effective.
If you’re stressed about the mixing process, you don’t need to be. You can use this guide to learn more about types of water for HGH injections and read step-by-step instructions for mixing your HGH.
Never take HGH that is not prescribed by your doctor or try to change your own dose. Prescribed HGH injections are the only safe, legal, and effective treatment for growth hormone deficiency. If you have any questions about the instructions for your prescription, ask our doctor.
How to administer HGH injections
You should have instructions from your doctor on how to properly store and administer your HGH injections. Your pharmacist might give you further instructions when you pick up your prescriptions. Some general preparation tips are:
- Check the temperature your HGH vials need to be kept at — Some HGH vials can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one year. Other types need to be kept at room temperature.
- Store your mixed HGH syringes in the refrigerator — Once your vials are reconstituted you can store them in the refrigerator. Depending on the type of water used, you can store reconstituted vials anywhere from five days to four weeks.
- Always have your syringes, water, alcohol swabs, and other supplies well-stocked — You’ll need to have a store of supplies for mixing and administering your HGH. You should be able to buy them at the pharmacy when you pick up your HGH. You can use standard insulin syringes for HGH.
Administer your injections only intramuscularly, NEVER intravenously
Bacteriostatic water vs Sterile vs Distilled for injections
Many people are unsure what the differences between various types of water used in healthcare are. Types of water you might see include:
- Sterile water — Has been treated and packed to be free of any contaminants or bacteria. It contains no additives. Some forms of HGH are recommended to use with sterile water for injection as a diluent in patients with m-cresol hypersensitivity
- Distilled water — Is treated to remove any bacteria or contaminants, including minerals. It is made by boiling water and letting the pure water vapor condense in a new container, leaving anything that is not H2O behind.
- Bacteriostatic water — Is sterile water with 0.9% benzyl alcohol added. The benzyl alcohol prevents the growth of harmful microorganisms.
- Normal saline — Saline is water that contains salts. The mix of salts and water is similar to what is naturally found in your body. It is not used to mix injections.
Which water is best for HGH injections?
Using bacteriostatic water is normally recommended. The added benzyl alcohol keeps the water usable even when multiple needles have been inserted. Bacteriostatic water also keeps your reconstituted vials of HGH usable for longer.
However, if you have a sensitivity to benzyl alcohol, you can also use sterile water. Keep in mind that sterile water can only be used instantly and once.
How to mix HGH with bacteriostatic water
Bacteriostatic (bac) water needs to be measured when you mix it with your HGH. The exact instructions can vary depending on your type of HGH, but general steps include:
- Prepare your syringe
- Clean the top of your HGH vial with an alcohol swab
- Insert the needle into the bacteriostatic water
- Draw the bacteriostatic water into the syringe
- Insert the needle into the HGH vial
- Slowly push the water into the vial, letting it run down the walls
- Slowly rotate the vial between your fingers to mix it, don’t shake it
- The mixture should be clear when you’re done (don’t use the vial if it’s cloudy)
- Store the now reconstituted HGH in your refrigerator
Don’t shake your reconstituted vials and don’t use the HGH if the reconstituted mixture is cloudy
Specific information for different types of growth hormone injections can be found below.
If you have a Zomacton prescription, you should follow the instructions above. Each 10 mg vial of Zomacton should be mixed with 1 ml of bacteriostatic water. If your Zomacton vials are 5 mg, they can be mixed with 1 to 5 ml of bacteriostatic water. Mix your reconstituted Zomacton gently without shaking.
Your Saizen vials need to be stored at room temperature before they’re mixed with bacteriostatic water. Saizen vials will be either 5mg or 8.8mg. 6mg vials should be mixed with 1 to 3 mL of bacteriostatic water while 8.8mg vials should be mixed with 2 to 3 mL of bacteriostatic water. Follow the standard instructions to reconstitute your Saizen.
Saizen is also sometimes available in 4mg or 8.8mg cartridges. If you have Saizen in cartridge form, you’ll get a mixing solution, along with instructions along with the cartridge.
You need to store your Humatrope vials in the refrigerator before mixing. Humatrope comes in 50mg vials that should be mixed with 1.5 to 5 mL of bacteriostatic water. You can mix Humatrope following the standard steps above.
If your Humatrope comes in cartridges, you’ll use a solution supplied by the manufacturer to mix your HGH.
Your Zorbtive can be stored at room temperature before mixing. You’ll mix 8.8 mg vials with 1 to 2 mL bacteriostatic water to reconstitute them. If your vials are 4, 5, or 6 mg, they can be mixed with 0.5 to 1 mL of sterile water.
Do you need a prescription for bacteriostatic water?
It depends on the drug store you use. You might be able to get bac water over the counter or from an online supplier without a prescription. However, if you have a prescription from your doctor, you can simply pick it up when you get your HGH.
How long does HGH last once mixed with bacteriostatic water?
The shelf life of your HGH depends on the type and on the water you use. HGH mixed with bac water always lasts longer and can be generally stored in the refrigerator for two to four weeks depending on the type of HGH.
Using sterile water will result in HGH that needs to be used a lot quicker. Some types of HGH can be mixed with sterile water and stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, while other types need to be used as soon as you mix them.
When used properly, HGH injections are an effective treatment for growth hormone deficiency. The instructions might vary depending on the type of HGH your doctor prescribes, but you’ll follow the same general steps and need the same supplies, no matter what.
Remember that mixing with bacteriostatic water is the best choice for mixing your HGH. It will let you prepare more HGH vials and keep them longer. Always talk to your doctor about any concerns you have and follow all the instructions that you’re given.