- 1 Bacteriostatic water vs Sterile vs Distilled for injections
- 2 How to mix HGH with bacteriostatic water
- 3 Do you need a prescription for bacteriostatic water?
- 4 How to store HGH injections
- 5 The Takeaway
Growth hormone injections come in different forms. You’ll probably need to mix your HGH vials with specialized water to reconstitute them.
If you’re stressed about the mixing process, you don’t need to be. Use our guide to learn more about the types of water used for growth hormone injections and read step-by-step instructions.
Never take HGH that is not prescribed by a doctor or try to change your own dose
Prescribed HGH injections are the only safe and legal treatment for growth hormone deficiency.
If you have any questions about the use of growth hormone treatment, here’s our guide: How and Where to Inject HGH without complications.
Bacteriostatic water vs Sterile vs Distilled for injections
Many people are unsure what’s the difference between various types of water used for injections. Types of water you might know include:
- Sterile water. Has been treated and packed to be free of any contaminants or bacteria. It contains no additives. Some forms of HGH are recommended to use with sterile water for injection as a diluent in patients with m-cresol hypersensitivity
- Distilled water. Is treated to remove any bacteria or contaminants, including minerals. It is made by boiling water and letting the pure water vapor condense in a new container, leaving anything that is not H2O behind.
- Bacteriostatic water. Is sterile water with 0.9% benzyl alcohol added. The benzyl alcohol prevents the growth of harmful microorganisms.
- Normal saline. Saline is water that contains salts. The mix of salts and water is similar to what is naturally found in your body. It is not used to mix injections.
Which water is the best for HGH injections?
Using bacteriostatic (bac) water is normally recommended. The added benzyl alcohol keeps the water usable even when multiple needles have been inserted. Bacteriostatic water also keeps your reconstituted vials of growth hormone usable for longer.
If you have a sensitivity to benzyl alcohol, you can also use sterile water. Keep in mind that sterile water can only be used instantly and once.
How to mix HGH with bacteriostatic water
Bacteriostatic water needs to be measured when you mix it with your HGH. The exact instructions can vary depending on your type of GH, but general steps include:
- Prepare your syringe
- Clean the top of your vial with an alcohol swab
- Insert the needle into the bac water
- Draw the bac water into the syringe
- Insert the needle into the vial
- Slowly push the water into the vial, letting it run down the walls
- Slowly rotate the vial between your fingers to mix it, don’t shake it
- The mixture should be clear when you’re done (don’t use the vial if it’s cloudy)
- Store the now reconstituted HGH in your refrigerator
Don’t shake your reconstituted vials and don’t use the HGH if the reconstituted mixture is cloudy
Specific information for different types of growth hormone injections can be found below.
How to mix Zomacton
If you have a Zomacton prescription, you should follow the instructions above. Each 10 mg vial of Zomacton should be mixed with 1 ml of bac water.
If your Zomacton vials are 5 mg, they can be mixed with 1 to 5 ml of bacteriostatic water. Mix your reconstituted Zomacton gently without shaking.
How to mix Saizen
Your Saizen vials need to be stored at room temperature before they’re mixed with bac water. Saizen vials will be either 5mg or 8.8mg.
5mg vials should be mixed with 1 to 3 mL of bacteriostatic water while 8.8mg vials – with 2 to 3 mL. Follow the standard instructions to reconstitute your Saizen.
Saizen is also sometimes available in 4mg or 8.8mg cartridges. If you have Saizen in cartridge form, you’ll get a mixing solution, along with instructions along with the cartridge.
How to mix Humatrope
You need to store your Humatrope vials in the refrigerator before using them. Humatrope comes in 5mg vials that should be mixed with 1.5 to 5 mL of bac water. You can mix Humatrope following the standard steps above.
If your Humatrope comes in cartridges, you’ll use a solution supplied by the manufacturer to mix your HGH.
How to mix Zorbtive
Your Zorbtive can be stored at room temperature before use. You’ll mix 8.8 mg vials with 1 to 2 mL bacteriostatic water to reconstitute them. If your vials are 4, 5, or 6 mg, they can be mixed with 0.5 to 1 mL of sterile water.
Do you need a prescription for bacteriostatic water?
It depends on the drug store you use. You might be able to get bac water over the counter or from an online supplier without a prescription.
However, if you have a prescription from your doctor, you can simply pick it up when you get your growth hormone.
How to store HGH injections
Some advice you should know to store your injections properly. A pharmacist might give you further instructions when you pick up your prescriptions. Some general preparation tips are:
- Check the temperature GH vials need to be kept at. Some vials can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one year. Other types need to be kept at room temperature.
- Store your mixed HGH syringes in the refrigerator. Once your vials are reconstituted you can store them in the refrigerator. Depending on the type of water used, you can store reconstituted vials anywhere from five days to four weeks.
- Always have your syringes, water, alcohol swabs, and other supplies well-stocked. You’ll need to have a store of supplies for mixing and administering your HGH. You can use standard insulin syringes.
Administer your injections only intramuscularly, never intravenously
How long does HGH last once reconstituted?
The shelf life of your HGH depends on the type and on the water you use.
Growth hormone reconstituted with bac water always lasts longer and can be generally stored in the refrigerator for two to four weeks depending on the type of growth hormone.
Using sterile water will result in HGH that needs to be used a lot quicker.
Some types of GH can be mixed with sterile water and stored for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, while other types need to be used as soon as you mix them.
Properly used injections are an effective treatment for growth hormone deficiency. The instructions might vary depending on the type of GH your doctor prescribes, but you’ll follow the same general steps and need the same supplies, no matter what.
Mixing HGH with bacteriostatic water is one of the best options to last your reconstituted vials longer. It will let you prepare more HGH vials and keep them longer.
Always talk to the doctor about any concerns you have and follow all the instructions that you’re given.